Saturday, June 19, 2010
A Brief Encounter
Yesterday, I ran into Wally at the DFAC/Kitchen. It was so good to see my dear friend. I wonder if he knows how I feel about him. He feels like a kindred spirit to me, like I have known him for a long, long time. For what ever reason, I trust him deeply. He is about to sew on Technical Sergeant/ E-6. I was so grateful to see him that I didn't even verbally congratulate him. I hope that he knew I was proud of him, and that he is far more competent that his rank belies. In my view he is easily an E-7 or an E-8. The encounter was a bit bitter; however, I fear that we are/have drifted far apart. It is hard to believe that it was a year ago that we were stationed together at Balad. I also felt guilt that I never completed the gift that I had envisioned for him. I will complete it soon. The meeting also stirred in me a grief that I may no longer be a warrior. Speaking of failures, I have never sent Eileen her flag that I had flown for her. I am not good at following through on plans. Perhaps Liz mailed it out as I requested... perhaps I only dreamed I asked her to.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment